Plectrum Podcasts: Fourth Plectrum Podcast - The romantic guitar of Earl Klugh.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Fourth Plectrum Podcast - The romantic guitar of Earl Klugh.


Welcome back to my Plectrum Podcasts. Its time to hear some jazzy though romantic guitar music. This podcast is dedicated to Earl Klugh. Earl was born in 16th September 1954, Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A. He insists that he does not consider himself a jazz player and thinks of Chet Atkins as being his most important influence. I do not totally agree with this statement because I believe that his music is actually jazzy but who am I to disagree on his own idea about his music!

I must say that his music influences my playing even though in comparison with Earl Klugh I rightly consider myself a mere beginner.

I was introduced to Earl Klugh's music by my friend and Acoustika Trio member George Pollacco (the other guitarist of my trio). George is a little older than me and was into jazz before I was too so he was more up to date with what was going on in that field at the time. He gave me some cassettes from his albums to listen to and one of them was an Earl Klugh album which I heard over and over again. Sadly I do not know the name of the album and I never saw it for sale neither. All I know is that it had the track Heard it on the Grapevine in it - a track which I try to reproduce when I play finger-picking style.

Click [HERE] for more information about this artist.


Podcast description:

TRACK 1. Jamaican Winds - from Midnight in San Juan. This is Earl Klugh at his best according to me. This is the Earl Klugh sound I prefer. Most of his albums have this sound anyway but he did try to experiment with playing solo or with orchestras as you will see in the next tracks. This album has a particularly Caribean or Latin feel to it.

TRACK 2. Goldfinger - from Earl Klugh Trio Sound and Vision Volume II. This is the only Earl Klugh album I know of where he plays with his trio, which consisits of himself on guitar, Gene Dunlop on drums and Ralph Armstron on bass. Sadly I do not have volume I. The trio are accompanied by the fabulous Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Nice combination indeed.

TRACK 3. Someday my Prince will come - from Solo Guitar. In contrast with the previous album, Solo Guitar is what I would term "bare" in that one here listens to Earl Klugh and Earl Klugh alone! You can concentrate on his finger-picking style and appreciate his mastery. He interprets some well known songs too and one of them is the one I am bringing to you - it is his interpreatation of the theme from Disney's Snowwhite and the Seven Dwarfs.

Instructions for first-timers:
Download the Juice Podcast Reader from the right-hand sidebar. Then subscribe to this Podcast by using the RSS feed (copy and paste) in the appropriate field in the program. Double click on it when it appears in the list and then click on the download button [which says "Check/Download selected Feeds"]. It should be easy but I suggest that you view this short tutorial.


Should you wish to be notified by email when new podcasts are uploaded just enter your email address in the field provided in the sidebar and click the Subscribe Me button.

Just right click and choose Save Target As to download


Check out this video of Earl Klugh in action:


PLECTRUM