Plectrum Podcasts: Eleventh Plectrum Podcast - The unique style of Larry Coryell

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Eleventh Plectrum Podcast - The unique style of Larry Coryell

Larry Coryell official websiteI was introduced to the music of Larry Coryell accidentally many years ago (when CD's were not even heard of yet) while I was rummaging through vinyl disks at a music shop. I had this habit of looking for unusual, unknown or rather old music because I was, and still am, very curious. I wanted to know what is being done by non commercial musicians and what had been done in the past. That's how I came to know of Larry Coryell. I found this album, heard a track or two as samples and bought it. To enjoy his music you need what's called "an acquired taste" and probably this podcast will not please many. I did try to choose some of his mellowest pieces but I reserved the last track as a sample of the artist's more jazzy facet.


Podcast description:

TRACK 1: Rhapsody in Blue - From Larry Coryell at Kimball's East Emerville, LA, Live. A beautiful interpretation of George Gershwin's famous composition, Rhapsody in Blue. It is amazing how Coryell manages to transpose what's supposed to be played by a full orchestra to just one solo guitar!

TRACK 2: Improvisation on Villa-Lobos (Prelude No.4 in E Minor)- From Larry Coryell and the 11th House (Live at the Montreux Jazz Festival).This is actually a classical piece by the famous Brazilian composer Heitor (or Hector) Villa-Lobos. Larry Coryell, apart from interpreting the piece, improvises on it. That means that he knows this piece so well that he feels confident enough to change it at will. That's the result of really hard work.

TRACK 3: Tamari - From Larry Coryell and the 11th House (Live at the Montreux Jazz Festival). This is how I know Coryell most - playing his electric guitar and doing true Jazz. I left it for the last on purpose. If you hate jazz then skip this one. But I must say it is a really good example of Larry Coryell's mastery and unique style.

Enjoy the music.

Just right click and choose Save Target As to download


Check out this video of Larry Coryell in action:


PLECTRUM